Sunday, August 29, 2010

Bundle of Nerves!

Right now, I should be working on my lesson plan for tomorrow... but I'm not.  Wait, let me stop right here before I go any further.  I'm sure that by using the term "lesson plan" you are thinking that I am a teacher, but I'm not.  True, my degree is in elementary education, but I don't teach (are you scratching your head yet???).  I have plenty of reasons why I don't teach, but that's another story for another day.  So what's this mysterious lesson plan for???

I decided earlier this year to volunteer at my church to teach PREP class.  For those of you non-Catholics out there, this is basically just religion class for Public School students.  I decided this would be a great opportunity to actually teach, but not have to deal with the craziness of actually teaching.  In some ways I have been right and in some ways I've been totally wrong.  Don't get me wrong, I am totally excited for this opportunity, but it reminds me a little of why I'm not teaching.

Biggest thing?  I'm indecisive when it comes to teaching.  Remember the big teacher's book your teacher always carried around?  If you were like me, you always wanted to just catch a glimpse of that book as it held all the answers and "secrets" of being a teacher.  Well let me tell you - I have now seen several teacher's textbooks and they are overwhelming.  So.much.information!!!  I think it would be better sometimes to do without.  What are these books thinking!?  No teacher has the time to carry out all of these lessons and in the ways they suggest.  It's impossible!  Then I start to think that maybe the problem is me.  What if I'm just the terrible one that can't get it all in?  Ugh, I just totally stress myself out!  And I'm having all this anxiety over one, one hour class.  Can you imagine if I taught seven subjects?? 

Me thinks that I would get it to come together if I did have seven subjects, because tomorrow is our first class and I pretty much have everything planned out, I just need to get it all together.  Our time together is limited so I hope that I am able to teach the important things, but really?  There hasn't been any guidelines on what to teach (which I think is why I'm so anxious).  I'm just going to do the best I can.  I have the training.  I just need the confidence.  I can do this!

No comments: